Written by Theresa Corbin
Almost a week ago Newt Gingrich said something so asinine about American Muslims and Sharia (Islamic law) that I just couldn’t anymore. I was 100% done. So I took to an anger induced workout that didn’t reduce my anger in any way.
Then I did what any mature (and sweaty) person would do. I ranted my outrage on my personal Facebook page. My rant led to a lot of conversation and dialogue about Sharia for which I am really thankful. But I thought it would be a good idea to talk about it on islamwich.
Click here to read what Newt said if you didn’t hear the idiocy that fell from his face.
Here is (some of what) I said on fb:
Newt Gingrich is a God damn idiot.
I am not going to apologize for my language because I mean to use these words to their fullest extend and with their purest meaning. Maybe HE needs a Sharia test. He obviously doesn’t know the first thing about it. Notice his lack of specifics. […]
I am done. Go ahead and monitor the mosques. You will only find that the terrorist never set foot in them. Go ahead and deport me because I can’t take much more of this ignorance, abuse of power, and fear mongering. #IBelieveInSharia and if that scares you, you have no idea what Sharia means. 100% done.
Because of the above rant many non-Muslims who know me and know that I am into my faith asked me the same question in regards to my angry Facebook rant: What is Sharia?
This is what Sharia is:
Sharia is more than just “law”. It governs every aspect of an observant Muslim’s life. Note who it governs. The Muslim and the observant one at that. Only. It is a code of conduct, according to The Quran and the Sunna — prophetic tradition — prescribing both religious and secular duties and sometimes penalties for lawbreaking, generally supplemented by legislation adapted to the conditions of the day.
There is nothing anti-American about Sharia, especially considering that Sharia comes from a religion that out dates America by like 1200 years. Sharia law is about the betterment of people, affording stability, education, protection, and justice for its followers.
20 Things you should know about Sharia:
- Sharia is not a bad word.
- Islam is Sharia. Sharia is Islam.
- Sharia forbids forcing people to follow Sharia.
- Sharia forbids suicide especially suicide bombing because …
- Sharia forbids murder especially of innocent people.
- Sharia demands that you look out for your neighbor.
- Sharia forbids harming a living things without need such as food.
- 70% of Sharia, deals with rituals of worship. It tells me, and anyone who chooses Islam, how I to pray, fast, give charity, and make the pilgrimage to Mecca.
- Another 25% of the sharia deals with diet, personal finance, and family law.
- The other 5 % of sharia deals with manners and punishments of grievous crimes.
- No where in Sharia are women not allowed to drive, hold jobs, or have agency in their own lives.
- No where in Sharia does Sharia claim that it should over throw the U.S. Gov. For more info, read my Sharia Creep post here.
- Sharia even allows those non-Muslims living in a Sharia governed state to live and conduct their lives by their own religious laws.
- Sharia demands those who follow it to be moderates.
- Sharia is not static. Sharia is fluid and changes in its application depending on time, place, and circumstance.
- Just because a country calls it’s laws “Sharia based”, doesn’t make it so.
- Some leaders have use Sharia as an excuse to manipulate the masses and usurp power. Can you think of any leaders like this?
- No “Shariah compliant” country actually exists. In fact, some Western countries exemplify Sharia more that so called Muslim countries because of their freedoms of religion and expression.
- Shariah only allows fighting or going to war when it is in self defense.
- The death penalty for adultery in Sharia is unenforceable without a confession because the method of proving adultery is impossible. It is a preventative measure instead of a strict, brutal law.
Take the Shariah Law Quiz
Take the Buzzfeed quiz to see if you will be deported with me for following Sharia. Yes, even you non-Muslims might get the boot! Let us know in the comments if you are getting deported if the Newt gets his way.
Follow us (upper right of the page). Email us (firstname.lastname@example.org). Like our face with your face on Facebook (facebook.com/islamwich). Tumble with us on Tumblr (islamwich.tumblr.com). Pin with us (pinterest.com/islamwich). Follow us on twitter (@islamwich).
Like the post, share it, pin it, comment on it, and/or do whatever social media magic it is that you prefer. Find out more about us in the understandably named “About” page and browse other posts in “Table of Contents”.