written by Theresa Corbin
Recently, I was digging around for some inauthentic hadith for a project I am working on. Since, in Islam, we have a strict grading system to let us know which hadith are actually attributed to the Prophet Muhammad (PBUH) and which ones are just made-up, it was pretty easy to find the made-up ones.
There are tons of these made-up hadith that are just trash tossed from the sacred texts of the authentic hadith collections. Some people are the worst, wanting to manipulate the religion to suit their own desires.
Then I thought it might be fun to take a look at some made-up (or fabricated) hadith and make fun, er, point out how absurd they are. Again, all of these hadith were made-up and are not actually said, done, or approved by the Prophet (PBUH) himself. I would NEVER EVER make fun of any authentic hadith. And neither should you. That is dangerous territory.
But since these are all from liars, game on, playas!
1. Made-up hadith: The sneezing of a person while another is speaking is a proof that what the person is saying is the truth. (Classified fabricated by Ibn Jawzee)
Theresa’s Response: This one is kinda like believing that if a cat farts in the middle of the street, you know you are going to come into money. It’s superstition and weird at that. Muslims don’t do superstition.
2. Made-up hadith: To think for an hour is better than to be engaged in worship for a period of 60 years. (Classified fabricated by Ibn Jawzee)
Theresa’s response: No. I mean you could be thinking for an hour about how you want to kick your neighbor’s dog- an unsavory thought. And engaging in worship for 60 years is amazingly better than thinking about doing an evil deed. Like really, who’s even falling for this?
3. Made-up hadith: There isn’t a Prophet that was sent except after reaching the age of 40. (Classified fabricated by Ibn Jawzee)
Theresa’s Response: Guess whoever pulled this out of their you-know-where never heard of Jesus (AS), who happened to be a prophet from a young age and was even taken up into heaven before he turned 40. So, just no.
4. Made-up hadith: There is no good in black people. When they are hungry, they steal and when their stomach is full, they commit zina (sex outside of marriage). However they have 2 noble characteristics, which are generosity to their guests and perseverance at times of hardship. (Classified fabricated by Imam Bukhari and Ibn Jawzee)
Theresa’s response: This is outrageous. So, the racist who thought this one up was totally ignoring the authentic hadith: “… a white has no superiority over a black …” Not to mention Allah says in the Quran:
O mankind, indeed We have created you from male and female and made you peoples and tribes that you may know one another. Indeed, the most noble of you in the sight of Allah is the most righteous of you. Indeed, Allah is Knowing and Acquainted. (Quran, 49:13).
Allah has made us diverse so that we made know each other, not so that we can slander each other. This is disgusting. I don’t even have the language skills, beyond cursing, to say how angry stuff like this makes me.
5. Made-up hadith: To look at a beautiful face improves one’s eyesight and to look at an ugly face causes one’s eyesight to fade. (Classified fabricated by Ibn Hibbaan)
Theresa’s Response: If this were true, all pretty people with poor vision would have to do is look in the mirror. No more glasses for the good looking! HAHA.
6. Made-up hadith: Verily Allah Loves to See His servant tired and exhausted in his quest for halal things. (Classified fabricated by Ad-Daar Qutnee)
Theresa’s Response: Um, whoever made this mess up never read the Quran verse that says:
Allah does not intend to make difficulty for you, but He intends to purify you and complete His favor upon you that you may be grateful. (Quran, 5:6).
Not sure what the motivation behind this one was, but maybe they were sadists?
7. Made-up hadith: Verily Allah does not accept a supplication which has a grammatical error in it. (Classified fabricated by Mula Ali Qaari)
Theresa’s Response: Man, there were even grammar nazis back in the day! Allah knows what we mean to say even before we speak it in correct or incorrect grammar.
Be on your guard, friends, and fight the fake hadith.
Like the post, share it, pin it, and/or do whatever social media magic it is that you prefer. Find out more about us in the understandably named “About” page and browse other posts in “Table of Contents”.